About

ABOUT Dr O's Botanical Blends

The origin of Dr O's Botanical Blends stems from the personal crusade of Dr. Thomas W. Owen to bring a line of consumer products that are formulated with natural ingredients. The following is an abbreviated outline of Thomas’ journey.

Thomas’ father worked in the mining industry and had a great appreciation and understanding of Nature. He constantly imbued his insights with Thomas - species of trees, plants, animals across many ecosystems. Thomas’ also learned from his mother plant and flower varieties through his active participation in the maintenance of flower beds and a large fruit and vegetable garden. Perhaps on a subconscious level, these teachings would influence his interest in science and shape his educational career. In 2002, Thomas earned a Bachelor of Science (BS) in Chemistry/Biochemistry Emphasis from Boise State University. He then obtained his Master of Science (MS) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in 2004 and 2007, respectively, in Bioanalytical Chemistry from the University of California at Riverside. He was hired by a small engineering research firm in California where he worked as a Research Scientist from 2008 through 2012. An extensive presentation of the details of his academic achievements, research projects, publication record, etc. can be found on LinkedIn. 

A severe eye infection in 2013 would irreversibly damage the retinas in both eyes, leading to complete vision loss in his right eye, and extensive damage to the visual quality and field of view of his left eye. Overall, the extent of his visual impairment is the loss of approximately 65% of his visual field. This is best represented in Figure below. This impairment meant that he could not return to the career path he loved and had dedicated many years attaining his education and gaining experience. After the realization that returning to work as a Research Scientist would not be feasible, he used mixed-media art as a cathartic process of evaluation and introspection of circumstances that life had now presented him. Determined to persevere and discover a means that would allow for his long-standing personal objective of positively contributing to society that would need to encompass the criteria:  1. Address his insatiable need to acquire knowledge, 2. Utilize his educational and research background and unique set of life experiences, 3. Share his knowledge and experience to inspire others. 

Representation of Vision Loss
Photographic presentation of the extent of Thomas' visual impairment with the top photo representing vision before 
the infection that led to irreversible alteration and loss of vision represented in the bottom photo. The bottom photo shows 
the loss of ~65% of the visual field, and the remaining 35% with, "floaters" or, "artifacts" and myopia (nearsightedness).


Dr O’s Botanical Blends was founded in 2017 after successfully fulfilling the aforementioned criteria. Thomas’ multidisciplinary educational and research background in sciences (including Chemistry, Biochemistry, Microbiology, and Pharmacology), are critical in the efforts to break the stereotypes of nature-based consumer products being overpriced and ineffective compared to their chemically synthetic-based alternatives. Thomas’ experience as a PhD trained Chemist translates directly into the products he develops. It ensures that products are consistent from batch to batch. His  training and experience allows Thomas to find relevant scientific literature and accurately interpret and evaluate the data presented and decide the relevance of including ingredient candidates in product formulations. Other sources of handmade products generally do not have the knowledge or laboratory expertise like specialized techniques (ie. aseptic technique, analytical use of laboratory glassware), good manufacturing processes (GMPs), etc. These deficiencies could result in inconsistencies and large variations in the quality and effectiveness of their products, cross contamination, improper formulations, and pricing discrepancies. 
Dr O’s Botanical Blends will always be completely transparent when presenting its products to the public. All ingredients are fully disclosed on product labels. On drosbotanicalblends.com, product descriptions include the reasoning for ingredient inclusion in product formulations. References to scientific literature are also included in most of the descriptions. The practice of full disclosure serves to benefit the customer and assists in Thomas’ efforts to educate others. 
All of Dr O’s Botanical Blends products are formulated, tested, and hand made by Thomas from his home in Los Angeles, California. 

Thank you for taking the time to read the background story of Dr O’s Botanical Blends. Please feel free to contact us with any questions, comments, and/or concerns.